New revolutionizing reel series from Danielsson
Danielsson Innovation AB has developed a new reel series called Control, which will revolutionize medium-to-heavy fly fishing. Thanks to a number of innovations, Control reels significantly improve user-friendliness, reliability, and the odds of successfully playing and landing big, powerful game fish.
At first glance, Control reels appear to function like typical anti-reverse fly reels: when fish run the drag system lets out line without the reel handle turning. There the similarity ends, however. Whereas in traditional anti-reverse reel systems cranking power never exceeds braking power, Control reels incorporate a unique power converter that automatically increases resistance (drag) when you crank the handle, and reduces drag when you let the handle go. By pairing maximum cranking power with the ability to immediately reduce tension when fish jump or make sudden, lunging runs, incidents of broken tippets, shattered rods and bent hooks can be minimized – chances of landing trophy tarpon, sailfish or salmon maximized.
How it works:
The multiple disc clutch type brake is developed from our earlier systems, and has proven to be very reliable under harsh conditions. The main drag knob and a fine-tuning knob allow for extremely precise drag settings. The big news, however, is the fighting brake, which automatically significantly increases the drag setting as soon as the handle is cranked a mere 1.5 centimeters; stop forcing the handle and the brake immediately reverts to the original drag-knob setting. Because of this engineering breakthrough, anglers no longer have to let go of the handle when fighting fish, providing hitherto unattainable levels of control.
When fishing for Tarpon it is important to brake hard during the run. After the run he will be airborne, and under these high jumps there is a high risk that he will cut the leader. A Tarpon fisherman tries to prevent this by leaning forward, giving him some slack line. With this movement he gets another 1.5meters less line tension, but the fish might be 250meters away so the effect is minimal. If you instead could rapidly decrease the brake, much of the tension would go away.
This is exactly what our reel does: when the Tarpon jumps, you stop forcing the handle and much of the tension goes away. Your chances to land that dream fish just went sky high.
The power converter also has a built-in safety guard that prevents the reel from getting overloaded. Too many reels break under extreme stress – in other words, at the exact moment anglers rely on them the most. With Danielsson’s new Control reel, we can’t guarantee you won’t lose the occasional big one; but we can guarantee it won’t be because of reel failure.
- Control reels afford the unique benefit of having the handle on the frame side. This prevents the risk of finger injuries from rotating spools: remember, some species can run at speeds up to 100km/h.
- Control reels are waterproof to 100 meters, another important feature of reliability. By placing the handle on the frame side we only need two sealant rings, minimizing idle friction.
- The frame-side handle also makes changing spools a breeze, as opposed to the complicated, time consuming chore typical of other anti-reverse reels.
- The overall mechanical feeling is smooth and tight; just cranking the reel is highly addictive.
Twenty-five years ago we began making large fly reels capable of tackling some of the world’s most explosive game fish. With Control, we now raise the bar yet again, changing the way large reels are designed and manufactured, and more importantly, how they work to make fly fishing more user-friendly, reliable, and effective.
• New user friendly anti-reverse, with built in fighting brake through handle
• Totally Waterproof
• Saltwater resistant
• Heat resistant brake
• Clicker sound in outgoing direction
• Easy spool change
• Retrieving direction change by following manual
• Min-max setting on drag knob within one turn
• Handle on frame side, securely away from the spool
• All mechanical parts well balanced against each other, no weak links.